Day 1: Every Number Has a Name

. . . and every name has a story.


On that first day of our trip, we spent the whole day driving up to Gallup, NM.

My travel mates were a couple in their fifties that I've met just a couple times prior.
As we barely know each other, we naturally took our time to get to know each other in the first several hours. Surprisingly, the husband has a step mom from my birth country, and has visited more places there than I ever did.

It's interesting how we all have more things in common once we get to know each other's story. Every name has a story, and once we get to know their stories, they’ll become more than a name.

Later during this trip, I also found out that my (other) travel mate/roomate—the guy I talked to on that big meeting, and our team leader (I mentioned both of them in this story) are graduated from the same almamater as I did. Apparently three of us spent our college years in Montezuma Mesa. In 3 different decades of course.

Just around noon, or shortly before, we made a stop at Needles — A town right by California–Arizona State line for a quick lunch prepared by the sandwich artists next a gas station. They were driving a Prius, so no need to fill up just yet.

After the 30-minute lunch break, we drove past Kingman, and continue to climb toward Flagstaff.
By now we (sort of) ran out of stuffs to talk about. That, or the post-lunch food coma started to kick in. They decided to play an audio book.

But I was too busy paying attention to a natural phenomenon to follow the audio book.
Along the I-40 heading east past Flagstaff, we saw rain that were contained to a certain area only. Looks like a bunch of shower heads hanging on the sky. The area within those spots were cloudy and rainy, while the surrounding areas remain dry and bright.

Our driver — the husband — suggested to take another break so we can stretch. I gladly welcome the invitation. But we were unable to find an open rest area.
All the rest areas along the I-40 from Barstow were closed for renovation, until we finally found one that’s open in Arizona, nearby Winslow.

After taking a bathroom break and stretching for a little bit, we continue our journey. Yup, the spotty showers continue.

Hundreds of miles later, low and behold… we crossed the state line entering the land of enchantment.
It’s the 28th state I’ve visited and suddenly I feel enchanted already.

The drive itself wasn’t bad at all. Even though we drove for about 10 hours straight, it was definitely better than what I initially thought. Sure enough between elevation gain and temperature change I suffered a headache. I took a dose of painkiller to aleviate that.

Gallup, New Mexico is the most populous city between Flagstaff, AZ and Albuquerque, NM along the I-40, and Historic Route 66. It's a pretty good-sized town, with many amenities. It sits right on the Southeast corner of the Navajo Nation, just 26 miles from Window Rock, the Capital of the Navajo Nation, about 20 minutes drive east of the state line.

We pull into Gallup around 6.30 in the evening, and there are two things I noticed right away:
The best looking Panda Express I've ever seen. At least from the outside as I didn't see the interior. And US Route 666.

US-491 Sign in Gallup

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons


Best looking Panda Express ever! 
Or maybe it's just me?

Photo courtesy of Google Street View

Route 666 was the sixth spur of the Historic Route 66. Therefore it was the proper name in accordance with the road numbering guidelines for U.S. Highways. Nicknamed "The Devil's Highway," it was renamed to US Route 491 in 2003. There you go, a number that has a name, and a story. Ha!

That US-491 is the route connecting Gallup and Shiprock. Our hotel in Gallup sits right next to that route, right off the I-40 junction. Conveniently located next to a Cracker Barrell, accross the street from the aforementioned Panda Express, and nearby all kind of fast-food joints you can name.

After a quick check-in at the hotel, we decided to visit the civic center area in downtown Gallup. Just less than 5 minutes drive. Between Memorial Day to Labor Day, in a little plaza right in front of the Civic Center, there’s a Native American dance and music performance every day (or every weekend?) between 7 to 8 in the evening.

We decided to get a quick dinner at Camille, which conveniently located right next to that little plaza before heading off to the performance. Food was very good, fresh salads, sandwiches and such.

As the sun begins to set, with full belly we walked to the plaza to enjoy the Native American performance. Surprisingly we were greeted by a familiar tune coming from Native American traditional flute. It was “Amazing Grace.”

After the last dance for the night, we took pictures with the performers, bought a CD of the traditional flute songs and then headed back to our hotel.

When I get back into my room, my roommate had arrived. It’s been a long journey from the first time we met on that empty table, until we ended up going with the same team, then rooming and traveling together.

After a little catch up, my body gave in. Lack of sleep and fatigue doesn’t help with this throbbing headache. Took another painkiller, hoping that it’ll be gone the next day.
Time to rest up and get ready for an exciting second day!

ZZZzzzzz . . . ZZZZzzzz . . .

Popular Posts