Day 3: The Camp Begin

This morning, me and 2 other guys from our team served as an advanced team to set-up a few things.
So we got up earlier and to my surprise, some of the other team members were already in the breakfast room.

After a quick breakfast, 3 of us headed to Shiprock High School. We had to skip our team devotion this morning.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by some familiar faces we met the day before at the orientation meeting, as well as some new faces who eagerly help us setting things up.

Within the first half-hour, I learned 2 Navajo words today (and I forgot those by the time I’m writing this journal later that night), I remember the meaning are “Come here” and “good” (or good job). I’ll certainly ask our Navajo friends in the next few days and hope to learn more Navajo language in the next few days.

It’s amazing to see these many kids attending the camp.

I’ve heard from the other 3 teams came to the Rez this year (our team went last in 2016), based on the common patterns, first day is usually has the least number of participant.

So, I was beyond amazed when we heard over 225 kids attended first day of camp. And that’s not including kids we had to turned away since they did not pre-register and or got dropped off after the registration/check-in was closed.

Certainly, we would prefer not to turn anybody away, but later that day during debrief our camp leader explained why they do that.

A lot of it has to do with their culture and tradition, “The Rez life” as she said. She also explained how the parents doesn’t care about registering, so to encourage pre-registration,
kids who were  pre-registered got some kind of gifts or other privileges, it was designed to encourage the parents to pre-register next year.

Another cultural lesson we learned today, was how they tell everybody to come at 7.30, since they know based on “The Rez time” people will actually show up at 8. This is actually something I'm quite familiar with. 

Thankfully, we won’t be turning anybody away Day 2 and beyond. One of the Shiprock volunteer stepped up to take care of registration for the entire day for the duration of the camp. Another reason why we couldn’t take the kids after the registration was “closed” was because we didn’t have any volunteer to man the check-in table, it has waiver forms, parents information and such, as required by the High School and the School District for insurance reason.

As I already mentioned in Day 2, the Navajo culture is really similar to my own upbringing. And these are two of them. Whilst I don’t like turning kids away, I can personally understand why they do what they did based on the similarities of the Navajo and my own uprbringing. 

Of course, at the end of the day our duty here is to support the local churches the best we could. That’s what we decided to do. That’s what they think is best for their community, so that’s how it’s gonna be.

And that’s a really-really good thing. They were taking control of things, they do what they think is best for their community — albeit unpopular — and encourage the community to grow, to do better, and many other positive and encouraging things.

- - -

The people and churches of Shiprock really took a giant leap this year. This camp in Shiprock started just 4 years ago with a church, and a couple of volunteers. Our team from California did almost everything. In just a few short years they caught the vision, took over, and run with it. Not just that, they imparted the visions to other churches. 5 Churches now (by the time I came in 2016) working hand-on-hand in Shiprock and making impact the lives of the kids every year. I’m sure there will be more churches, government bodies and various organization get involved in the years to come. 

The amount of donations (from water bottles, school supplies, to T-shirts, foods and balls for camp), and how the whole community, business owners, local government, students involved were just AMAZING. We can really see their hearts in sharing Love and Hope to their community. They could easily be a model for other locations within the Rez. I have no doubt, in the near future they will be partnering with other churches, businesses, local governments in planting the seeds in some other communities in the Rez.

It’s only the first day of camp, 4 more days to go, but I know that this story will have a bittersweet ending.
Whether this is the last year we’re going to Shiprock, or maybe we’ll go for one last time, or whatever else… we know that this is what we’re aiming for. I’m torn with mixed feelings between sad knowing that our time here is almost over, but my heart also filled with joy knowing that our job is almost done, that the community here, they just “get it.”

My heart is so overwhelmed by what’s going on today, I’m so blessed to witnessed and experienced such an amazing example. I’m quite sure I’ll be back to the Rez, whether Shiprock or somewhere else. 

- - -

I guess you might be curious of what did I do today?

Here goes, remember the three musketeers? A.k.a the advanced team…

We were planning on coming early so we can set-up a photo backdrop for kids as they checked-in. Guess what? Didn’t happen because we were too busy setting up the art & craft room and by the time we found the backdrop we supposed to install… the kids were already everywhere. 

I was originally assigned as part of the basketball camp, however that didn’t happen either because I got recruited to help taking pictures and be the 2nd shooter.

Last year, we had 3 photographers on Shiprock team, this year we have only 1 — with more kids and larger facilities, more activities. Since we have plenty coaches in basketball, I volunteered to be a 2nd shooter, that was a no brainer.

This was enabled in a large part by a bunch of High School students. Some of them were part of the camps for the last couple of years or so and decided to give back to the community and recruit their friends in the process. So they run the basketball camp for the big kids, and allow some of us (California) team to help on other things. While taking pictures in the 2nd session, we were short on Adults to run Flag Football, so I switched from taking pictures to running a football camp.


Basketball Camp
Run by local High School kids

Zumba Session
Our team's effort in trying to keep up with the kids.

Zumba Session



Typical day at camp starts with a Zumba session for about half an hour, followed by the first session, where kids break out to certain sports of their choosing, crafts, field trip or some other activities. Then a snack break, followed by second session, similar to the first session and kids are free to switch to any activities they like. For safety reason, they had to stay in the same activity at each session.

Lunch was at the adjacent middle school is right after 2nd session — provided by the school district, followed by story time. During story time, people and volunteers from the community made presentations from talking about peer pressure, caring for others to fire department safety instructions and some encouraging speech from elders on the community.
For one reason and another, the lunch time was also changed, and consequently some of the schedule got changed again. No biggie, just another opportunity to practice “fast fluid and flexible.”
After story time, it's time for 3rd session, just like 1st and 2nd session.

After lunch/story time, I was asked to help with transferring and sorting photos. After I’m done with it, I was ready to help the football camp, but I saw them started wrapping things up. So I decided to help with the basketball camp as the high schoolers are now in the game with the big kids and I helped them by reff-ing the basketball game. Something I hadn’t had a chance to do since 2008.




Story Time


Afternoon Debrief


Don't mind me, just trying to recoup all the calories spent on first day of camp
"How do you fit a pound of burger into that frame?" – Our team leader commenting on my 1lb. Burger.

As we send the kids home, all the volunteers gather together and through an amazing teamwork, we moved the Art & Craft room to one of the practice court (that we didn’t use at all, except for sorting and transferring photo and haircuts. Oh, did I mention one of the local hair salon is closing their businesses 3 out of 5 days of camp so they can offer free haircuts for the kids?) Reason being, the A/C wasn’t working. This was the room we set-up in the morning. I stepped in for a few minutes and it felt like a sauna room there. Hot and steamy!

After we moved and set everything up, we continued our debrief for the day.
This was the part I mentioned earlier where the head committee addressed why they were being strict with registration. 


After making a dinner stop at Burger joint, we went back to the hotel. Some were replenishing supplies at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, and the likes. I decided to take my roommate offer to do some R&R for the evening and shoot some pool.




What a day. Lotsa change of plans, but I feel like we accomplished a lot. A while back, my pastor said that being fast fluid and flexible is one of my biggest strength, and he added “In a crazy way, I think you actually enjoy it.” I guess he was right. I felt that I achieved a lot today.
Anyway, it’s a good time to remind myself that it’s not about me.

Speaking of which, I’m assigned to lead devotion tomorrow morning, and that’s the theme of our devotion. 



Stay tuned!

Popular Posts