Day 8: Semper Vigilante

After our team dinner (read about it here) we continued our journey west, staying the night (Friday, Day 7) in Flagstaff on our way home.

Just a few minutes past midnight
We heard a loud banging on our door.

With one eye half open (and another half-closed) I saw flashing lights from the window of our room. 

And our Day 8 adventure begins . . .

- - -

As we conclude camp — still with mixed feelings and emotions — I was ready to think about what's next.

Back to life as we know it, work, friends, church . . . and ready to tackle the looming problem in front of me: some changes at work and living situation (I received a 60-days notice from my landlord at that time, you can read more about it here).

Or at least, I was expecting a smooth ride home.
A little breathing room before dealing with all those.

Not so fast, I guess . . .
Semper Vigilante, Always Vigilant.

- - -

It was our teammate next door, her bunkmate is having a seizure and has to be taken to a hospital.

As she rode in the ambulance with the aforementioned bunkmate; our team leader, my bunkmate and I followed in another car.
And we spent a few hours in the ER while her bunkmate was getting medical attention.

Because of our buddy system and mission covenant, we ended up driving back and forth for a little bit between the hotel and hospital. Fortunately, her bunkmate was released from the hospital a couple hours later and we all get back to the hotel just prior to sunrise.

I went straight to bed, and we agreed to rest up and drive home whenever we're ready.

- - -

Tired, and sleep-deprived we headed home a little later than planned, but we’ll stick together and we’ll do whatever needed to be done. 3 of us in 2 cars, we caravan together back home to California.

The rest of the drives are pretty uneventful. Had a nice time sharing and learning about life and families, and reflecting our recent trip, and dreaming for next year with my carpool buddy.

- - -

As soon as I get to the drive way, I threw all my bags into my car, and start driving to church.

I’m glad to see my church family again, hangout with some friends and shared some stories from the trip. I pulled into the parking lot, just as the service was ending. Right on time to join our summer night events.

Went to get some dinner, and then took a tram ride to the packing district for some desserts.

It was such a much needed hangout with friends, got a chance to share some stories, lighten the burden of this mixed feelings I can’t describe. And share many good laugh… definitely make it easier to transition back to daily life.

Many of us responded to mission trips in many different ways. My suggestion would be try to schedule time with family and/or close friends. Just to ease the transition back to daily life. Although I’ll also suggest not to go overboard with stories from our trip. 

Understands that our friends and families might not be as passionate as we do about the trip. They also didn’t see, experience and feel what we saw, felt and experienced what we did. I personally need time to let the dust settled and process everything before I can start telling the stories. This blog has become my outlet.

For now, I’m gonna rest my tired body and get some sleep.



Nights y’all!


Team rule #1: Drink a lot of water
– This was taken on Day 3 (first day of camp, when I serve as second shooter

Popular Posts